Our scrap heritage began with Harry Shapiro in the 1930's. Harry started with a horse drawn wagon, going from street to alley picking up scrap items and selling them.
Shapiro Brothers was started in 1946 by Harry's sons, Leon and Earl, after their return from service in World War II. Over the next several years, the brothers grew the business to become a full fledged scrap business. They added trucks, cranes, tractors, trailers, a baler, and a 550 ton guillotine shear to process their scrap and began shipping directly to the steel mills. They expanded from scrap being delivered to them, to servicing the industries in the area.
In 1984, Leon and Earl turned the reins of the company over to their respective sons, Harry and Greg. Harry joined the company in 1969 after serving in the military in Korea. Greg joined the company in 1982 after completing his engineering degree from the University of Missouri. Both had been raised in the scrap industry adn shared a vision that inculded expansion and growth for Shapiro Brothers, Inc. They began dismantling railroad cars and incorporated demolition and blasting jobs in the company's portfolio.
In 2004, Harry retired and sold his interests to David Shapiro, Greg's younger brother. Dave is a CPA and has an accounting degree from St. Louis University. With this dynamic new team in place, Shapiro Brothers, Inc. truly has become Shapiro Brothers again. Together Greg and Dave have gone on to expand the company's service abilities by purchasing their own fleet of railroad cars to better service their customers' needs.
We are proud of our past and look forward to continuing our tradition of excellent pricing, service, and payment that was started 60 years ago. Our past training coupled with state of the art equipment, creative problem solving, and technological prowess, continues to make Shapiro Brothers the best choice for your scrap handling and demolition needs.